Sunday, June 1, 2008

Re-Mixing Identities

Out of all the articles I have read, this seems to be one of the more interesting ones. I really enjoyed how Bally talks about sturggling to break this "Asian identity". I also enjoyed how on page 286 she states, "And now at least the kids are paying some attention to their roots and their culture and their music, listening to the originals, as well as to what we're doing now." This makes me realize the importance of music, and how much of an impact it can make on a younger audience. Ranjit even states, "Yes and they take more interest as well. It's about identities at the end of the day,' cos now, when we listen to Alaap it's like, "Yes it's good, it's nice, it's from back home." On a personal level, I completely agreee with how the music can take you back to your roots. I have a Filipino heritage, and when the Black Eyed Peas singer APL produced a song in our native language of Tagalog, it produced in me a feeling of pride and longing for my country and my identity. I find it interesting too that Ranjit had the same problem with her job and her family's approval of being a DJ. Ranjit states that her family thought, "We've lost her, we've her to the world of music." This can be relatable to many people in college today. Parents expect their children to be the future doctors and lawyers of the world, and if their children want to pursue art or dance, it seems like something to be looked down upon intead of uplifted for being gifted in the arts.

No comments: