Sunday, April 20, 2008

Hind Swaraj

Reading this was one the most difficult things to do. It was very hard to follow because it is in a question and answer format. I didn't really understand what was happening, or in what time period this was going on. However, some things did catch my eye.

In the foreward, the lines " The British Government in India constitutes a struggle between the Modern Civilisation, which is the Kingdom of Satan, and the Ancient Civilisation, which is the Kingdom of God. The one is the God of War, the other is the God of love."

This captured my attention the most because it really made me see the different perspectives a culture can have on another. It made me relate to the things right now in present day with Iraq. Alot of people in the Middle East, because of religion, deem the United States as a evil body of people. They take some of our religions, such as Christianity, and mock it. I have seen documentaries where a crowd of Iraqi's are yelling that the Americans are devils. The phrase "Kingdom of Satan" made me think about how that is the same idea other countries have of American right now. It was really interesting to read some of the things Ghandi wrote about because they were filled with such passion. Every response the editor had gave me the feeling that he knew what he was talking about, and that the editor believed every word he said.

I don't really understand alot of this work we are reading, so i'm pretty excited to learn more about it.

No comments: